What exactly is laryngitis?
Many of us are unaware of this medical term. I’m sure we are familiar with the larynx! Well, if you aren’t then it is the voice box that helps us create contrasting sounds in order to express ourselves.
In simple words, Laryngitis is the swelling or inflammation of the voice box which in turn makes the individual lose their voice.
That sounds scary doesn’t it? Don’t worry too much because there are a number of home remedies that can help us deal with this problem with ease.
Acute laryngitis is generally caused due to an infection wherein the vocal cord gets inflamed. When we talk about chronic laryngitis, it is caused by smoking or alcohol and often lasts for 3 to 4 weeks approximately.
These bulging issues do cause our larynx to get over-exhausted and ultimately retire:
- Voice overuse: Laryngitis can be caused due to excessive shouting, talking or singing for long hours.
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux: In this decease, if the acid from the stomach travels up to the oesophagus and hits the throat it can cause laryngitis. Many people are unaware of the fact that repeated refluxes can cause this problem.
- Stroke: This is again one of the more severe causes of laryngitis. A stroke can weaken the muscles around the vocal cords. When this happens, you can also experience hoarseness in your voice and difficulty in swallowing.
Throwing light upon some of the symptoms associated with this problem include:
- Pain: One of the most common symptoms of laryngitis is that you experience severe pain in the throat which can last before a long time unless left untreated.
- Hoarseness: The vocal cords get inflamed and therefore your voice becomes hoarse. Many people find it difficult to speak in this situation. It is necessary to get yourself evaluated if you experience such uneasiness.
- Fever: Fever is a common symptom of laryngitis and the temperature generally is high when you have laryngitis.
- Swallowing: A person suffering from laryngitis will find it difficult to swallow. Liquids too are consumed with a lot of difficulty in such a situation.
- Dry cough: You can even experience a dry cough which can prolong for a certain period of time if you do not treat laryngitis in time.
Here get acquainted to some amazing home remedies that will definitely give you relief if followed on a regular basis:
HOME REMEDY 1: Salt water
- Pour some warm water into a glass.
- Now add about half a teaspoon of salt to the water and mix well.
- Gargle with salt water in order to get instant relief form throat pain cause due to laryngitis. You can gargle several times a day.
HOME REMEDY 2: Apple Cider Vinegar
- Take 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, half a tablespoon of honey and 1 cup of water. Keep these ingredients aside.
- Now mix all of these ingredients together in water and drink it twice a day in order to get relief. Soon you will find a difference!
HOME REMEDY 3: Ginger root
- Take a piece of ginger root. Wash it properly and cut it into thin slices.
- Now place these ginger slices into a bowl of water and let it boil for some time. Say about 10 minutes.
- Once done, let it cool down to room temperature. You can also add some honey to make it a little palatable and a few drops of lemon juice.
- Drink this liquid as many times as you want for quick relief. Do try out this fantastic home remedy!
HOME REMEDY 5: Onion syrup
- Take about 2-3 medium sized onions and cut them into small pieces.
- Now let these onion pieces boil in 4 cups of water until you find that the water has thickened a bit.
- Take 5 tablespoons of this onion syrup and add it into a glass of warm water. Pour in 1 tablespoon of honey and a few drops of lemon juice. Mix well and consume slowly. This acts as an excellent expectorant for the throat. Watch the pain gradually go away!
Home remedies have been used since centuries and have been very effective in curing various ailments. The best part about them is that they do not have any side effects and cure the problem the root.